Husky diet

Can my husky eat grapes?

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

No, huskies can’t eat grapes, and they should never eat grapes. Grapes or raisins are bad for your dog. While other fruits and vegetables are good for your husky, grapes can cause kidney failure (acute kidney injury- AKI) in canines. Grapes are so toxic because they contain a toxic substance.

Unfortunately, researchers investigated and are still investigating why grapes are so toxic for dogs but it is not yet known why and what is precisely so toxic. What is known, is that even a small dose can harm dogs. It is crucial to keep the grapes away from your husky. The toxic number of grapes for a dog weighing 50 lb (22 kg) is just 10 oz (280 grams). Still, there is not a safe number of grapes that your dog can ingest without getting sick. Some medium-sized or large dogs can react to just a few grapes.

What are the symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs?

Clinical signs of grape poisoning usually occur within 6-12 hours of ingestion and are always present within 24 hours. Initially, there is vomiting and diarrhea, and you’ll see the grape residue in the vomit or stool. Other signs of grape poisoning are weakness, lethargy, excessive thirst, abdominal pain, and shivers. If there are not taking any measures immediately, the poisoning will progress. A dog can get very sick from eating grapes.

Symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs are:

  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Decreased appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Shivers
  • Dehydration
  • Increase in thirst and urine production
  • Decreased urine production

These symptoms can occur for various reasons, not only from grapes ingestion. If you suspect that your dog ate grapes, and even if you don’t know for sure, you should immediately contact your veterinarian. Your dog’s veterinarian will consult your dog and provide him or her the proper treatment.

What types of grapes are bad for my husky?

All types of grapes are bad for dogs. Green grapes, red grapes, black grapes, seeded grapes, seedless grapes, organic grapes, and even grapes from your vineyard are all toxic for your husky. If you have a vineyard, make sure your husky can’t get to the grapes.

If you eat grapes make sure you store them away from your husky so that he or she couldn’t steal them. Dogs are curious, and if they see you eating something, it’s a good chance that they will want to try it too. If you have children in your household, let them know not to feed grapes or raisins to the dogs. Grape or raising poisoning is a severe problem.

grapes and raisins are toxic for your husky
Grapes and raisins are toxic to all dogs

What happens if my dog eats a grape?

A single grape will not produce severe symptoms of toxicity, but you shouldn’t give your dog any. Your husky doesn’t need to eat grapes. The lowest toxic dose is around four regular grapes per one kilogram of body weight. But this doesn’t mean your dog can eat grapes. No amount of grape or raisins is considered safe for dogs.

What do you need to do if your husky ate grapes?

If your husky ate grapes or raisins, you should immediately call your veterinarian or take your dog to a clinic or the dog hospital. How is grape poisoning usually treated in dogs? If vomiting is induced 15 minutes after your god ate grapes, it can help to reduce the toxin absorption and limit the severity of the poisoning symptoms.

Still, treatment will be needed. Your veterinarian will know the best treatment for your husky. In most cases, treatment will consist in aggressive decontamination by inducing vomiting and administering activated charcoal, IV fluid therapy followed by monitoring of blood pressure, urine output, and blood. Activated charcoal binds the toxins and prevents absorption, and limits additional kidney damage.

Can my husky drink grape juice?

No, your husky shouldn’t drink grapes juice because it is toxic to dogs. Any juice that contains grapes shouldn’t be given to a dog. The same goes for grape jelly. Any product containing grapes is toxic for dogs and should be kept far away from your dog.

Grapes are toxic for all dogs

Regardless of the dog’s breed, both small or large, grapes are toxic for all dogs. If your dog ate grapes, seek veterinary care immediately. Always keep the grapes far away from your dog. This goes for all products containing grapes such as grape juice, grape jelly, raisins, grape sorbet, grape jam, and so on.

Your husky shouldn’t eat grapes or products that contain grapes. I know that you like to share your food with your husky, but grapes or products that contain grapes shouldn’t be shared with dogs.

Want to more about what your husky diet? Take a look at husky diet category.

Alexandra

Dog and Siberian husky lover. I love training, exercising and playing around with my two huskies. Always trying new foods, recipes and striving to give them the best possible dog life.

Write A Comment